Backlink SEO:- Search engine optimization (SE0) enhances visibility of your website in search engine result pages (SERPs). Backlinks plays a very vital role in establishing website’s authority, credibility in SERPS. Backlinks act like a vote in the eyes of search engines in & search engine gives web ranking to that specific website on the basis of backlinks. Today in this article we will discuss about what is backlink in SEO, what are the different ways to make strong backlinks, Pros and cons of backlinks etc. So read this article till the end for understanding of functionality of Backlinks in WordPress website.
What is Backlink in SEO?
Inbound link or incoming link that links one website to another website is known as Backlinks. Backlink is one of the most important factors in search engine optimization for website ranking factor. Backlink plays a very important role in establishing a website’s authority, relevance, and popularity. Bots of Search engines view backlinks as votes of confidence, backlink indicates that other websites trust and value the content of the linked site, it effects website’s ranking in SERPs in a positive way. The more high-quality backlinks of your website help your website to generate more organic web traffic and high ranking in search engine results pages (SERPs).
Types of Backlink in SEO
Generally there are 4 different types of backlinks.
- Natural Backlinks: Natural Backlinks are the links that links with your website organically without any direct effort from the website owner. Natural backlinking happens when other websites find the content of your website valuable.
- Manual or Earned Backlinks: Manual backlinks links with your website through efforts like outreach, guest posting, or link building campaigns. The website owner create manual backlinks intentionaly for better performance of his/her website.
- Editorial Backlinks: Editorial backlinks are the links that website owner or authors include in their content to enhance the relevance and quality of the content.
- Self-Created Backlinks: Backlinks which are created by the website owner for their own website is known as self-created backlinks. These backlinks are of low quality and generally seen as spam by the search engine bots.
Features Offered by Backlinks
- Authority: Backlinks provide authority to your website. A backlink from reputed website will help your website to gain credibility.
- Relevance: Backlinks from websites of same niche as yours is considered more relevant and valuable in SEO.
- Anchor Text: The clickable text within a hyperlink is known as anchor text. Relevant and informative anchor text can provide additional value to search engines about the content on the linked page.
- Diversity: A diverse backlink coming from different domains, IPs, and different types of websites like blogs, news sites, forums, etc., is more natural and favourable by search engines.
Importance of Backlinks in SEO
- Improved Search Engine Rankings: Backlinks are one of the most important ranking factors for search engines. Websites who are having high-quality backlinks ranks higher in search engine result pages.
- Increased Organic Traffic: Website with strong backlinks from different & relevant sources is able to receive more referral traffic from those sites.
- Brand Building: Backlinks from reputed and popular website helps boost your website’s authenticity and credibility in eyes of search engine as well as user.
- Faster Indexing: Backlinks help in fast indexing of web pages of your website. With the help of backlinks, Search engines discover new websites and new web pages faster.
Disadvantages of Backlinks
- Low-Quality Backlinks: Poor quality backlinks or spammy backlinks can harm credibility, reputation and SEO performance of your website.
- Time consuming– Building a good backlink profile of your website is very time consuming and it take a lot of time and effort.
- Effect on Algorithm– Search engine algorithm changes very frequently for better user experience. This continues changes in search engine algorithm sometimes don’t integrate well with backlinks, and creating a negative impact on your website’s visibility.
- Search Engine Penalty: Search engines can penalize websites who are engaging in manipulative and illegal link-building practices, such as buying links or participating in link schemes.
Steps to Get Strong Backlink for SEO
- High-Quality Content: Creating high quality informative and user friendly content helps you get more organic backlink. If other website find your content informative, relevant and user oriented, then they will provide link of your website on their own website for better user experience.
- Guest Posting: You can write guest posts for reputable websites of your niche to get high quality backlinks. Writing informative blogs on other’s website of your niche is known as guest posting.
- Outreaching: Reach out to relevant websites and blogs of your niche or industry to propose collaborations, partnerships, or content contributions also give you good amount of backlinks.
- Broken Link Building: You can identify broken links on other websites, and offer them your content to fix that broken link. You can ask for backlink of your website on their website as a replace of your content.
- Social Media Promotion: Sharing your informative content on various social media platforms will increase the visibility and reach of your website. This increased visibility gives you lots of chances of backlinking with other websites.
- Info graphics and Visual Content: You should create user friendly, information rich and visually appealing content, so that other websites gives you backlinks.
- Participating in Online Communities: Participating in discussions on forums and online communities by providing valuable insights, relevant content and information helps you in positive way to get backlinks.
- Contact Influencers of Your Niche– You can contact famous personalities & Influencers of your niche, and tell them about the specific content of your website, from which they can relate and gives you a backlink on their website.
- Using Backlink Tool– You can also use backlink tools like Semrush, Ahrefs for powerful backlinks.
How to Check Backlinks for SEO
Checking your backlinks for search engine optimization is very essential. It helps you to track your website’s link profile. You can also monitor the quality and quantity of backlinks referring to your website. Popular ways to check backlinks are as follows
- By Using Google Search Console- If your website is verified on Google Search Console, you can easily check the backlink profile of your website. The link report shows all the top linking websites, pages, and the anchor text used in the backlink.
- Using Backlink Analysis Tools– There are many third-party backlink analysis tools available in the market. These analysis tools are specially designed for backlink analysis, for example Ahrefs, Moz Link Explorer, SEMrush, Majestic, and Open Site Explorer.
- Bing Webmaster Tools– Bing webmaster tool is same like Google Search Console. It also offers a backlink report that shows the data of backlinks referring to your website from the Bing search engine.
- Checking Manually on Search Engines– You can check backlinks manually on search engines by using the “link:” operator followed by your website’s URL, for e.g link: example.com. But this method does not provide the complete list of backlinks because it depends on search engine for backlink checking.
- Backlink Checker Extensions– Backlink Checker Extensions are available for browsers like for Chrome, Firefox, etc. This method allows you to check backlinks for any website you visit. MozBar, Ahrefs SEO Toolbar etc are some popular example of Backlink Checker extension.
- Competitor Analysis– Analyzing your competitor’s backlink profile can also give you valuable insights and information of their link-building strategies.
So after reading this post we came to the conclusion that bilding a strong backlink profile is a very important part of powerful SEO strategy. But it is important to note that over time, search engines have become more advanced in identifying unnatural, spammy or manipulative link-building practices. So Buying or participating in these types of link schemes can result in penalties or a drop in organic web traffic and rankings. We advise you to focus on earning genuine backlinks by creating informative and user oriented content, without any malpractices. Search engine optimization is evolving regularly and backlink is just one of many factors for SEO. So keep focusing on creating high quality content for users not for search engine to perform better in SERPs. Keep visiting our website for more digital marketing content and information.