Create a Subdomain in Hosting:- Subdomain is the extension of your domain. It helps to distinguish and organize content of your website under different name. Each domain name is allowed to have upto 500 different subdomain names. You can add more function on your website by adding subdomains. Subdomain is commonly used for creating E-commerce store on the website. Today in this article, we will talk about the importance of subdomain, how to create a Subdomain in Hosting.
What is Subdomain?
So basically subdomain is the extension of domain, it is a addition into the URL of website which is used to separate a particular section of site from its main website. For example, a website is using domain review.Mobile.com which is focused on reviewing mobile phones, if the owner of that website adds subdomain sell.mobile.com, he will be able to sell mobile on that website without hampering the audience and data of his primary domain. Subdomain is very important to distinguish and organizing content of your website. There are three main part of the URL of any website
- Top Level Domain– The last extension of the URL of website is known as top level domain or TLD. For Example .com, .org, .net, .in, etc.
- Second Level Domain- It is the middle extension of website’s URL, the most creative one. For example, in www.google.com ‘Google’ is the second level domain.
- Subdomain- The extension in the URL of website is known as Subdomain. For example in www.support.google.com, ‘Support’ is the subdomain, this subdomain directly let you enter into customer service support section of google without visiting google search engine homepage.
Features of Subdomain in Hosting
- Streamline site hierarchy
- Improve user on-site user experience by providing easy navigation
- Subdomain provides feature to use two different themes with different functions for one domain like a blog, forum, e-commerce store, etc.
- Create location- or language-specific sites
- They offer possibilities to create a mobile-oriented site
- You can have up to 500 subdomains in single second line domain
- You can create multiple levels of subdomains such as store.product.yoursite.com, test.forum.yoursite.com, etc.
- Each subdomain can be up to 255 characters long
- In multi level subdomains, each level can have upto 63 characters.
Pros and Cons of Creating a Subdomain
Advantages of Creating a Subdomain in Hosting
Subdomain plays a very important role in SEO, it also increase functionality of website without hampering website’s main content. Here we are sharing benefits of subdomain
- Improved Onsite Experience- Subdomain improves onsite user experience by providing them multiple features without surfing multiple websites. For example you can create blogs focused on online educational courses and you can also sell educational online courses, e-books etc without changing domain name.
- High Domain Authority– If your website is providing engaging user experience, than you can attract high volume of web traffic. This will help to build authority of your domain. And your website will get higher ranking in SERPs.
- Different Content on Every Subdomain- Subdomain allows you to create different content without changing main domain. It means you can create different content for different audience without changing the main second level domain (SLD).
- Better Content Organization- It is very important to keep your website organized for good user experience. You can use different subdomains for organizing different content all at the same SLD. This will help user to navigate easily through your website
- E-Commerce Use- You can use your subdomain for starting an e-commerce platform on your website. The Subdomain allow your website user to shop your recommended products from your platform.
Disadvantages of Creating a Subdomain in Hosting
- Difficult to Maintain- Creating a website is easy and maintaining a website is whole different task as it requires a lot of hard work. Subdomain divided your website in different parts and each part requires a lot of work. So getting multiple subdomain is not easy to maintain.
- Confusion- Sometimes subdomain creates confusion for user of your website, leaving them with bad user experience. User of your website gets confused between subdomain and second line domain.
- SEO Gets Divided- As we all know that SEO is the main factor for high ranking in SERPs. When you add subdomains into your website, the search engine optimization also gets divided between your main domain and subdomain instead of getting focused on main domain. Unfocused SEO can affect you website performance in SERPs
How to Create a Subdomain in Hosting
If you are planning to add subdomain to your website to increase its functionality, than you are at the correct place. Here we are discussing step by step procedure to create subdomain in hosting.
Steps to Create Subdomain in Hosting
It is very easy to create a subdomain in your domain if you are using WordPress hosting. Here we are sharing step by step procedure to create subdomain.
- Firstly login into your hosting account.
- After logging in, click on domain tab after clicking on it a submenu tab will appear on your screen
- On the submenu option click on Subdomain tab
- Your domain name will appear on the right side.
- If you are having single domain on your web hosting, then you don’t have to change anything
- If you are having multiple domains on your web hosting, then the required domain will shown in dropdown menu
- Now enter the name of your desired subdomain
- After entering the subdomain name click on Create tab
- After clicking on Create tab, your subdomain will show on your screen
Steps to Create Subdomain in cPanel
- Firstly login in to your cPanel
- After logging in, go through the domain section
- In the domain section, click on subdomain tab
- Now click on ‘create subdomain’ tab
- Now enter the desired subdomain name and click on create tab.
- A new folder for subdomain will be created in your public_html folder.
We hope that this article helps you to understand subdomain in much better way. Using subdomains has its own place, but we recommend using them only when there is absolute need. Content of the website is main ranking factor of website on SERPs and subdomains play very minor role in SEO. So we advise you to be focused on on-site SEO by creating more user friendly and informative content.